ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A new day

I had so many thoughts going through my head this past few days. About life/ death/ joy/ accomplishment/ trial & error/ memories/ losses/ wins, etc... etc...

There are so many things that people take for granted! Dear God, I hope that I always remember how truly  blessed I am! You have put so many truly wonderful people in my life & there are just no words. I know people say to consider themselves lucky to count their true friends on one hand. I have that in spades! I am grateful beyond belief. May I always show my appreciation & make the most of every moment I have with my loved ones. Love, Jenn.

I suppose a good place to start would be by saying that, after some encouragement form Marianne & a few of my patients' parents, I have applied to be a volunteer advocate for the state of Washington for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. What this entails is lobbying with the state politicians, raising awareness, planning events, etc... I emailed my app yesterday, so we'll see what happens.

I find it interesting how many people have brought the subject up with me recently. I was asked why I am raising money for this cause & why it is so important to me. Well, the answer is pretty simple. Suicide is an ugly reality that occurs at an alarming rate. I suppose the cause hits close to home because, had I not had the people in my life that I did, it so very easily could have been me. Growing up, I often thought I wasn't good enough for anyone. I assumed I could never do anything right because I could never make my mom happy or proud of me. I figured that if my dad didn't even care enough to be around & since my mom shipped me off to boarding school & wouldn't let me stay home, why would anyone else want me or want anything to do with me. I had the courage to confide my thoughts & all to an amazing priest who helped me through my insecurities & self doubt, etc... I feel I owe it to myself to pay it forward, in  a sense. I am truly grateful that I am here today & wish for every lost soul that they find their self worth & their happiness. If I can be of help in any way, I am blessed & consider myself lucky. Now that you have the background, maybe it explains my connection with this cause.

On the same subject, I am already attempting to put a team together for the next community walk. Any & all are welcome! Strength in numbers, my friends! Please do your part!

No comments:

Post a Comment